Wednesday, January 03, 2024

AMERICAN GREETINGS

 I have a story about American Greetings.  The short story is I am working for them now.  But the longer story is sort of -well- Heavenly Father's tender mercy, faith and family.

Around Thanksgiving time I got a call from my son, Blaine.  He asked if I would be able to pick him up from a repair shop and take him to Smith's where he was going to be meeting with a lady about a part time job he was going to begin.  We had a discussion about why he was getting a part time job and he said it would just be a few hours a week after work and it would be some extra money.  (Who can't use extra money right?) He said he would just be putting up new cards for American Greetings as they were sold.  I assisted him with the rides and took him back to his car when the work was done and he was off to Parowan.  

And now, The Rest of The Story:

The next week I got a call from Blaine asking if I would like the job.  He decided he wouldn't be able to do it along with his full time job and being home when Sara was at her job.  I told him without thinking yes.  I knew I would sometime get a full time job but it sounded like a fabulous part time job.  (The job title is Merchandiser).  As we talked more about it, he said he felt bad he was quitting and thought it might be helpful if he had a reference for the hiring manager.  So I said yes.

Side Note:  Ambur told us she had also seen the job and was going to apply but then it said one of the requirements was to drive--sort of takes her out of the game.

The hiring manager was thrilled and said it was a first for the person quitting to have a replacement.  I met with her, filled out the appropriate/necessary tax information and she told me I was set to go.  She told me I would be getting an email to welcome me and then I would receive the tablet and other tools for the job.  What a great relief!  I was pretty excited, it would certainly be something very different for me.

Not as easy as one might think.

Time went on with holidays and I didn't hear anything.  But I did go and work with my mentor, Jeff who has been doing it for 30+ years.  And I learned how to actually stock the recurring gift cards.  Then I told Crystal (manager) that I hadn't received anything in my email so she sped up that process, I got an interview but they knew nothing of me replacing Blaine which is considered a 'Direct Hire'.  So the process was started and FINALLY on December 27th I got the package with my tools  and got set up to work appropriately.  A big sigh of relief. Since then, I have been getting everything all set up and doing video training.  It has been quite fun and I was so excited to get going.  

Time to go to work--for real.

So today I got to go to St. George to the Walmart in Washington and learn how to do a Revision--that is when the company has acquired a new store and lots of people go to get the 'revision' done.  I had a 6:45 appointment so I was a little late but got there and found there to be 13 people there to assist.  I had no idea what would be entailed.  But I was so excited to get to work and have a full day.

After four hours I thought I was going to die.  Take me out to the parking lot on a stretcher, I thought.  I will never be able to do this all the time, I thought.  I have not stayed awake for many full days since I moved and I will tell you my body was ANGRY at me.  My back ached, I was hungry (I did take a protein shake because I wasn't sure how long it would be) and I was tired as I had been up a lot during the night.  

The work day done--but surprise!

The work day ended after about 5 hours (all the other people had been there for 7) I went outside and SURPRISE! It was pouring.  I called Ambur and let her know I was on my way home and she told me it was snowing in Cedar City.  Great.  Off I went and thankfully it wasn't too crowded and while the rain was coming down hard, the snow was light.  Got home and crashed in my chair and slept for 2 hours.  Woke up and had a bowl of cereal (that is all I had the energy for) and woke up to take care of some paperwork business.



That is the logo I will be seeing in my dreams tonight.  I am so grateful for the opportunity.  I would never have applied for the job, so Heavenly Father intervened, his plan and I have had faith since my house sold that his plan would come into play for me.  Blaine applied and thankfully listened to the spirit and offered me the job, what a lovely feeling to know he felt I could do it. Tender mercies all around me.  I am grateful, tired but grateful.  The great thing is that I get to do this again tomorrow at the Walmart in Cedar City and Friday at the Smith's and Lynn's stores here as well.  Then I will be ready to venture out on my own and the great thing is, I can work when I want-early morning late at night and they told me I could get extra hours until I get a full time job.  Now I will go to bed, sleep well I hope and wake up refreshed and ready to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment